The National Society of Black Engineers Pre-College Initiative program will lead the world in enhancing the pre-college students’ Academic, Technical, and Leadership skills in order to maximize their success in life. The mission of the Pre-College Initiative (PCI) program is to support and encourage K-12 participation in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, or STEM. The goal is to encourage students in grades K–12 to attend college in the pursuit of engineering and technical degrees.
Our PCI program provides activities to help students discover firsthand how engineering and technology relate to the world around them and discover the excitement of academic excellence, leadership, technical development and teamwork. Through hands-on STEM activities, trivia style academic games, and informative talks from real engineers, PCI programming is an effort to ensure healthy pipeline development in STEM fields and to stop the leakage of our young talent out of STEM related educational and career paths.
- NSBE Jr Chapter (Legacy STEM Project)
- Expose Engineering Now Work Shops
- Adopt a NSBE Jr Chapter
- Summer Engineering Experience for Kids (SEEK)
Objectives of the PCI Program:
- To help students have a positive attitude towards academic excellence
- To stimulate enthusiasm about science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- To encourage 3rd–12th graders to pursue degrees in engineering and other technical fields
- To increase the number of African Americans attending and graduating from college
- To encourage and support parental commitment to children’s education
- To raise cultural awareness among students
- College Admissions Preparation – Obtain materials to prepare you for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT.
- College Preparation – receive college application information including how to get into college, financial aid information, etc.
- Competitions – such as the Try-Math-A-Lon, MathCounts, Engineering Design Competition (Robotics-based), and the PCI Science Fair.
- Scholarships and Awards – Awarded to NSBE Jr. members in high school who have excelled academically and expressed an interest in pursuing a career in engineering and related fields.
- Subscription to The Bridge – the NSBE magazine that caters to pre-college students. (a $15 value)
- Registration Discounts – for conferences and events including the Annual Convention/PCI Mini Conference held annually in March. Our conferences offer innovative programming designed to expose youth to science, technology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Leadership Development – develop your leadership skills by serving in many chapter and some regional leadership roles
- Networking Opportunities – to meet other NSBE Jr. Collegiate and Alumni members from around the world who have walked in the footsteps that you intend to.
- Mentorship/Tutoring – by College Students or Technical Professionals currently working in a STEM field
PCI Important Registration Dates
All registration for competitions will be available on IMPAK. Please have all necessary information completed prior to the registration deadline.
Fall Regional Conference Deadlines
Engineering Design Competition TBD
Science Fair TBD