The NSBE Mission is to increase the number of culturally responsible Black engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community
The NSBE torch symbolizes our everlasting burning desire to achieve success in this competitive society and to affect a positive change on the quality of life for all people. The lightning bolt represents the striking impact that will be felt by the Society and industry due to the contributions and accomplishments made by dedicated members of the National Society of Black Engineers
The same light that flows from the NSBE torch to students and professionals in the United States is also relevant for engineers in Africa, Europe, South America, Asia, Canada, Australia and the Caribbean. It is the vision of NSBE leadership that the organization will replicate itself in countries around the world, creating a world network of Black engineers, scientists and technologists through its international operations.
The objectives of the organization are to:
- Stimulate and develop student interest in the various engineering disciplines.
- Strive to increase the number of minority students studying engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Encourage members to seek advanced degrees in engineering or related fields and to obtain professional engineering registrations.
- Encourage and advise minority youth in their pursuit of an engineering career.
- Promote public awareness of engineering and the opportunities for Blacks and other minorities in that profession.
- Function as a representative body on issues and developments that affect the careers of Black Engineers.